8.25.2009

Mad about Men

This show. That man. Sigh... I realize - and regret - that I am years behind in obsessing over Mad Men, but I will totally make up for lost time with my level of obsession, just you wait.

A few thoughts, now that I'm caught up to the rest of the world (may contain undecipherable spoilers):

Frickin Jon Hamm, you are gorgy. Remember on 30 Rock how he was in a beautiful bubble and I was like "damn, he IS beautiful."? Times infinity in a suit and/or shirtless.

Granted I only know about the 50s/60s ad-men era what this show, and maybe Revolutionary Road, has told me, I think the qualities of the characters are pretty true to any time. And - excuse me while I whine for a mo - especially lately, I have been right there with Don Jon and his feelings of discontent. Life is confusing, y'know? And while I may not sleep around on my wife, when he does (sleep around on my wife), I most of the time don't hate him for it. Is that awful? Probs. What I'm tryinggg to say is that I think he does a good job of giving depth to the character, exposing emotions and thoughts through every tryst - many times with just a dreamy crease of the brow - rather than just being a van der sloot.

Another thing I really like about this show is how a lot of times they just don't explain things. Why did you randomly stop shaving or telling us of the day Sally was born? Did Betty ever bring in your 'if lost, return to' suitcase from the front step? I don't know if watching two seasons in a week made this more or less frustrating than it would've been, but at first, I really expected them to finish every conversation and make up every argument. But I quite like that they don't.

I love Harry Crane, I hope he gets a dedicated plotline. And actually I really like Pete, with his blue suit and whinypants douchiness. Oh and I so called it about Salvatore in like the first eppy. Betty is so pretty, I kind of can't get over it. I haven't yet decided if I like Peggy, but I do feel pretty bad that she has to live with that haircut outside of filming. Oh well, women's lib and all that.

I feel like I should learn to drink alcohol neat. How did they do that? And more amazingly, how did all our parents get born with their parents all drinking and smoking and preggering all at once?

I hope this show encourages men to dress in suits.

Finally, yay for the Sesame Street spoof! Let's be honest, it's so I can be in touch for this parody that I started watching this show at all. Are they allowed to have cigarettes on SS? I mean they can barely have cookies.

P.S. Check me out, dirrty martini-ing it up with DD!

0 comments:

Post a Comment