3.24.2009

King of queens




The imagery on this show, I tell ya. Butterflies and pretty boys was all the gay I needed, and then they did me one better by outing the prince. Make my life, nbc.

From what I've gathered of the Lord's stories from living in the South, Kings seems an alternate-reality show about David, of Michelangelo fame, and other Bible friends. The show was considerate to skip the subleties of Lost (and Scrattlescar? I don't/didn't watch, but obviously this other one does/did, so I'm trying to relate) with the religious allusions by naming the bad guys Goliath, the good guy David, and the prince Jack-short-for-Jonathan. They took a little liberty in naming the king Silas instead of Saul, but I forgive them for casting Ian McShane.

As I come to you two eppies in, I recap: There's this war, right, between Gath and Gilboa (Gath bad, Gilboa good-ish). And Hunkadore David slayed a Goliath tank and saved the queen Jack, so King Bobinksy owes him, but is really using him to hypnotize the Gilboans with his dreamyness and call it even with Gath. Reverend Samuels, as in the Book Of, who matters a lot because this show is about God, is mad at Bobinsky because he knows that he actually planned the attack on his own peeps which thereby got his son kidnapped by the anemone. Meanwhile Davey has a crush on the princess (the real princess, not Jack ...yet) but she's got a secret that daddy so-close-but-not-quite spelled out for her/us, and now she's mad at Davey for judging her even though she hasn't told him yet. And, OH, how could I forget! Kirsten-Cohen-crushes-Carter-Baizen is a big ol' party monsterin' homosex-sual!!

And if the Bible wasn't already the greatest read, turns out David and Jack-o get gay somewhere in there. With that and the closeups of McAussie alone I think this show would be magic, but throw in a pretty original premise (minus the 'Bible did it first' bit) set in a taller CGI-version of NYsteez, and I'd say we have a hit on our hands. So go ketchup if you haven't seen, and allow yourself to pause on the parts where David's cherubian (yeah I did it) face takes up the screen.

1 comments:

RS said...

Aaaaaaaand the Emmy for 'Best Group Sex Scene in a Primetime Drama' goes to...

Post a Comment