6.19.2009

Oh yea? We Got Live Dance Competitions in Japan, Too

Including the annual Yosakoi Soran Dance Festival, which ended this past Sunday. For a week the streets of Sapporo were flooded with motley crews of dancers, wearing some crazy-ass outfits.
My favo(u)rite was these weird old biddies dressed as macabre cats. I don't think they knew they were being macabre. Also, I'm never quite sure I know what macabre means. But, don't you agree?

Yea, it's totally macabre.
So people dressed in interestingly themed outfits wandered about the city fo seven days, presumably stopping every now and then to break into dance. Except Yosakoi dancing is more just flailing your arms about and yelling unintelligably.

Here is a lovely video for you, of one of the finalist teams. Yes, that's right, FINALISTS.



And that, my friends, is my complete and thorough explanation of one of Japan's greatest traditions.
If you need more info (but why on earth would you?), you can go find an encyclopedia. In the library.
Have fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment