4.07.2009

Hipster-Hop

These days, it's more than just a Daft Punk sample.

Last year, it was the BBC Radio1 contempo covers, with one artist's sound on another's song, that I couldn't get enough of. And now, it's hip-hopsters (hipster-hoppers?) adding their own voices to indie hits, one-upping the cover song. And what's better, the sampled songs are ones on my "at the mo" rather than my "throwback" playlist. Here are a few of the faves:

Drake - Little Bit (Lykke Li)
Who ever dreamed such a life of rhyme for the chair-wheeling kid from Canada's Degrassi? Considering my love for the sappy teen drama, I think it's saying a lot that I think his career move was an upgrade. Though it helps that he references fellow television stars of the 90s...

N.A.S.A. - Gifted (ft. Kanye West, Santigold, Lykke Li)
More with mashing of artists than their songs, N.A.S.A. (or Central America, as I choose to refer to them) is inspirational the way they bring the people together.

Wale - Chillin (ft. Lady GaGa)
Oh, whale. With Mark Ronson's basket of pet artists with which to collab, you really can do no wrong. Also, kudos to Lady GaGa for a spot-on MIA impression.

Kid Cudi - I Poke Her Face (ft. Kanye West and Common)
Until the radio decided to make it my shower theme-song, I was loving Kid Cudi's Day N Nite. I have since moved on to this punny version of Poker Face, that is quite enjoyable, "even if it is actually just an amalgam of 358 other songs/pop culture references, all shoved together and spun into double entendre", as Timly observed.

Chiddy Bang - Kids (MGMT)
Chiddy Bang - Because (Radiohead)
And lastly, but probably my most favoritestly, Chiddy Bang. Their name alone puts them on the top of my list (the bottom of this one only for climactic effect). But these two covers/remixes/social commentaries somehow took two songs I lurve - one by an artist that could never be outdone - and created songs almost more amazing than the originals. Also, tell me these aren't the most adorable boys.

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment