7.16.2009

When life hands you LemonAde, make him DANCE!

Now, I can’t even pretend that the Results Show wasn’t 948309384 eons ago, so it’s going to be a short highlights reel, here.

The group number was the best Nappy Tabs group number (I’m talking between this show and that other redheaded stepchild of a dance show, ABDC…EFDKJFS) that has ever been. In fact, when it first started, I almost thought they’d employed Mia for yet another group routine, which is saying something. The hip hop to “Seven Nation Army” made me completely forgive them for using “Halo” during the performance show.

I’d mention the musical performance, but that might be one of the worst songs on the radio currently (I know, I know, stiff competition there), so I daren’t give it anymore attention than it has already undeservedly received.

The Bottom Three couples were really a crap shoot, at this point, since each couple did at least one decent performance. Unsurprisingly, Caitlin and Jason Danny were in the bottom, but – the audience – VERY surprisingly, Chonga/Ch’Beeb and Miss Havisham/GatorAde were also. The female solos were all either pretty par the course (Alien just leaped about a lot, and Chongalicious’ Pam Grier costume just made me nervous) or entirely ridiculous (Miss Havs trying to prove that she’s “young” and “hip” by doing ballet in booty short). I figured the guys’ solos were going to have to really embody the “dance for your life” aspect of the show, and thought that there was a good shot of either Ch’Beeb or LemonAde going home. Jason Danny’s solo was just the right type of contemporary: generically moody song, lots of sweeping arm movements, leaps, and bounds. Ch’Beeb’s solo was incredibly good, but I’m loathe to admit that even that level of remarkable becomes a tad ‘water under the bridge’ when it’s the only style and repeated every week. Since those two solos were both very strong, I had just figured that Ade would be going home, but then he managed to do one of the best solos I’ve ever seen on the show – including a flip wherein he pointed his feet and a MJ homage ending. Needless to say, if the screaming and standing ovations and side conversations between Tyce and Nigel weren’t enough of a hint that he was going to be around for another week, Cat’s break from hostess duties to show her true awe did it.

After that final solo, it was blatantly obvious that - though we may still love him - Phillip was to hit the hay. I also managed to get my way and bid adieu to Caitlin, as she was finally bested (though, I'm not sure that Miss Havs was actually BETTER than her - just more unique). Nigel promised the two of them some sort of understudy part on the Fall SYTYCD Tour, as if that was some great concession they didn't already largely expect. Not that it matters, since it's only a matter of time before my Ch'Beeby is feature on some sort of Coca Cola commercial.

Here's the best of the night:

0 comments:

Post a Comment